|A site for the history of Belgrave & surrounding areas in Tamworth, England.||
Doulton insulators acquired the factory from George Skey and Co in 1938. It underwent a programme of modernisation and development to specialise in producing high voltage insulators for things such as electricity pylons and telegraph poles. Click here to find out what it was like to work there.
The top picture shows the extent of the works in 1958. In 1981 it was partly demolished and the photo taken in 1997 shows what remained; located above the four long white roofed structures. Morrisons supermarket and car park is featured on the right. Today, most of the site has been cleared to make way for the new housing estate off Marlborough Way.
The adjacent picture features the mines rescue station which was part of the works and located by the roundabout connecting Marlborough Way to Watling Street. Notice that the building plaque reads North Warwickshire. The Staffordshire and Warwickshire borders changed on the 1st April 1964 and resulted in Belgrave and Wilnecote becoming part of Staffordshire.