|A site for the history of Belgrave & surrounding areas in Tamworth, England.||
Gibbs & Canning works was established in 1847 in the Glascote area of Tamworth. The local clay contained the right constituents and nearby coal seams provided cheap fuel for firing.
In the 19th Century three firms dominated British terracotta Manufacturing and Gibbs & Canning was one of them. They produced all sorts of items from ornamental garden works to large architectural building facades; notably, the Natural History Museum and the Albert Hall in London. The factory closed towards the end of the 1960s.
Click on the front cover of the catalogue and price list below for more examples of their wares.